Learn to ride a scooter safely for children 5-9 years old
Our Scooter Wise programme teaches primary school children how to scoot safely, so they can enjoy the freedom and fun riding a scooter provides. The programme for years 1 to year 4 (5 to 9 year olds) helps with basic balance and sensory integration in a child’s early years. Without this, learning and reading development can be significantly delayed.
This programme is available to schools, local authorities and leisure sites. We supply all the equipment and resources for you to deliver the programme at your own site.
Balance and direction
Scooters can help improve coordination with use at any age, particularly when children are young and learning how to balance using their weight. Our scooter training develops any child’s ability to scoot safely through a range of games and fun activities, developing confidence and road safety awareness.
What the programme covers:
- Importance of wearing a helmet and how to adjust it correctly
- Scooter safety checks before starting a journey
- How to slow down, stop safely and deal with an emergency situation
- How to cross the road safely at junctions and near parked cars
- Sharing the pavement with pedestrians, how to keep the public safe and dealing with crowded spaces
- Pushing, balancing, gliding, taking blind corners and navigating obstacles
Providing school equipment and opportunities for cycling and scootering has been a priority for our lunch-time club for many years as part of our promoting positive behaviour system.Head Teacher, Penyrheol Primary School
- Who should attend
Primary school children from year 1 to year 4 (5 to 9 year olds).
- Delivery method
All equipment is provided by the school, local authority, leisure site running the programme.
- Included in the delivery
Everything you need to get started:
- 2 wheeled folding scooters suitable for 5 to 8 year olds
- Scooter Wise session plan
- Illustrated activity cards
- Child tracker sheet
- Scooter Wise certificates
- Sheets of Scooter Wise stickers
- DVD on the programme
- Adjusting helmets
- Scooter checks
- How to stop
- How to cross a road safely
- Sharing the pavement and passing other pedestrians
- Balancing, gliding and much more!
Please visit our Balanceability Scooter Wise programme website for pack prices or call 01242 504525 to discuss your requirements.