Safety check with a bike mechanic
Regular bike maintenance can prolong the life of your bike. Our Dr Bike sessions cater for schools, adults and organisations – and we can come to your workplace, community, organisation or event.
Dr Bike for schools / adults
Simple tasks like changing a tyre and mending a puncture are demonstrated and then performed by participants under the supervision of a qualified Instructor. Our cycle mechanic will share basic cycle maintenance skills, including:
- Level and depth can be varied to suite the age group(s) – works best with year 5 pupils and upwards
- Covers the basic maintenance checks periodically required and also how to fix/adjust typical components such as tyre pressure/inflation, puncture repair, brakes saddle/seat post, handle bars, gears and chain/lubrication
- 1 mechanic to 5 to 6 pupils and a typical session will last 1 to 1.5 hours during or after school
- Available as a standalone session or part of more comprehensive maintenance training course
All course equipment is provided including bicycles to work on. By all means bring your own bike as this is a great opportunity to find out what all the nuts and cables actually do.
Dr Bike for organisations
We can bring the workshop to you. Our Dr Bike service is a mobile repair workshop coming to your workplace, community, organisation or event. Our knowledgeable and friendly bike mechanics can assess a fleet of bikes and carry out minor repairs while you wait so you can get your bike back on the road with confidence.
If we can't repair it on-site, we will explain what needs fixing and provide a rough guide to what it should cost at a bike shop.
- One of the most cost-effective means of getting more people cycling
- Replacement of typical consumables is included in the price such as brake blocks, inner tubes, brake and gear cable inner and outers
- One mechanic can typically check/service 4 bikes per hour
- Pre-registration of bikes is strongly recommended to ensure availability of bike consumables/spares
The session can help cyclists get in the habit of checking their bikes regularly, provide hassle-free riding and help them avoid repairs.
All of the team have been extremely helpful and have communicated all information really well. I'm thoroughly impressed with the level of training the instructors provide and everyone's positive and professional approach.
Our cycle mechanics have been selected for their experience, professionalism and ability to relate to people from all walks of life. Regular assessment and feedback is supplemented by coaching and mentoring to ensure they consistently deliver quality training.
Did you know?
41% of people admit to a lack of basic bike maintenance knowledge and skills such as puncture repair or adjusting brakes. Something as simple as making sure your tyres are inflated to the correct PSI can make a world of difference!